Monday, January 23, 2012

Bitter shame and sorrow

O the bitter shame and sorrow that a time could ever be when I let the Savior's pity plead in vain, and proudly answered, All of self and none of Thee

Yet He found me, I beheld Him bleeding on the accursed tree; Heard Him pray: Forgive them Father! And my wistful heart said faintly, Some of self and some of Thee

Day by day His tender mercy healing, helping, full and free; Sweet and strong and ah, so patient, brought me lower while I whispered, Less of self and more of Thee

Higher than the highest heaven, deeper than the deepest sea, Lord, Thy love at last hath conquered; Grant me now my supplication - None of self and all of Thee

-Theodore Monod




"Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me." Philippians 3:12